- Zichron Menachem assists 190 families a year.
- Every year, 160,000 children are diagnosed with cancer.
- Every year, 90,000 children die of cancer.
- Every year, 23,500 people are diagnosed with cancer in Israel (that’s 1 out of 300!)
- In Israel, rates of skin cancer are disproportionately high to its number of citizens. Australia has the world’s highest rate of skin cancer.
- Sixty percent of cancer patients in Israel are cured—2nd highest rate in the world. The United States has the highest percentage of cured cancer patients.
- Cancer is the second most fatal illness in the western world
- Cancer kills double the amount of people as AIDs.
- On an international scale, nearly 7 million people die each year of cancer; and nearly 11 million patients are diagnosed with cancer each year.
- If the current trend continues, over 16 million cases of cancer will be diagnosed, and over 10 million people will die of cancer in the next decade
- Today, given medical and scientific knowledge and the possibility of early diagnosis, approximately 30% of the 10 million cases of cancer that are diagnosed each year can be prevented.
- 1%-2% of cancer patients are diagnosed during childhood years
- 20%-30% of children with cancer are diagnosed with leukemia; 15% with brain cancer; 15% with lymphoma; 10% with cancer of the adrenal gland; 9% with bone and tissue cancer; and 5%-6% with cancer of the kidneys
- Main causes of cancer (in order of threat):
- Smoking, diet, weight gain (30%)
- Insufficient exercise, activity-related factors; family history; viruses and other biological factors; prenatal/early childhood factors (5%)
- Fertility factors; alcoholic consumption; socioeconomic factors; environmental pollution; ionizing/ultraviolet radiation (2%)
- Prescription medicines and medical treatments; salt/food additives/food contaminants (1%)